Aims and outcomes
Project name: Open Government Pioneers
- Open up the process through which government and civil society jointly works towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) across the UK
- Empowered engaged citizens, leveraging their knowledge of SDGs.
- Political representatives have greater awareness of SDGs and types of actions required.
- Government officials have a better plan for involving citizens.
- Open government seen as instrumental, and a common good towards progressing SDGs.
By focusing on:
- Securing government actions and commitments at the UK nation level (i.e. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales)
- Using the SDGs as a shared framework for progress
- Mobilising civil society and citizens in open governance reform and sustainable development
- Developing the capacity of civil society to influence reforms in pursuit of open government and sustainable development
- Developing the capacity of government to open up policy processes in pursuit of open government and sustainable development
- Developing engagement between civil society and governments, in order to improve governance and sustainable development within the UK nations
- Developing learning on what works in opening up government for civil society activists across the UK, and internationally
- Substantially increased and broadened memberships of the Open Government Networks for each nation
- Campaigns and meet ups in each nation to connect civil society participants in the open government movements
- Government commitments, via the production of Open Government Action Plans, that relate to a range of SDGs
- Open and inclusive Open Government Networks, with well developed governance and terms of reference, in each nation
- Conferences and learning webinars, at national, UK and international levels engaging other pioneers
- Evaluation and monitoring outputs tracking the development of the movement
- Online tools for collaboration within and between the nations, including:
- Open Government Pioneers Wiki - a collaborative space for planning OGP interventions and actions
- Development of digital platforms for engaging civil society in developing open government approaches to the SDGs
- Open Government UK website: Policy blogs, articles and consultation responses from project partners to major government actions / developments against SDG framework