From Open Government Pioneer Project
The planning page is now shifted to the Sustainable Development Goals for Scotland open network page on the Knowledge Hub. Please join there to edit.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Development Phases
Introduction[edit | edit source]
This is a space to openly establish and manage a network for people and organisations interested and committed in developing the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) movement in Scotland. It has been set up to build openness around the process of building the movement for individual people and civil society who want to progress the UN Sustainable Development Goals in the Scottish Context.
The Network's forum can be accessed at https://khub.net/group/sustainable-development-goals-scotland-network
Initial purpose of this planning space[edit | edit source]
- Share info about what each of us are doing/planning with regards the SDGs
- Seek input to the new www.globalgoals.scot website in development (funded by Big Lottery and implemented by SCVO) which aims to raise awareness of the SDGs in Scotland, share inspiring stories around Scotland's implementation (domestic and international) and encourage sustained governmental commitment.
- Share views on how best to take this discussion forward - the formal 'post 2015 group' seems to have fizzled somewhat
- Think about how best to encourage government and wider civil society to move meaningfully forwards on the SDGs
Current status[edit | edit source]
This page and the initial content has been set up by Ruchir Shah and Paul Bradley (staff at the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations) on 7th April 2017 as a starting framework to prompt contributions to develop a more coordinated discussion, decisions and movement that can mobilise people around the Sustainable Development Goals. This is an open wiki that anyone can edit and add or remove content
Next steps[edit | edit source]
- To move as many conversations as possible concerning SDGs in Scotland to the Network's forum at https://khub.net/group/sustainable-development-goals-scotland-network
- For partners to add as much relevant information as possible to knowledge hub planning wiki to develop a clearer picture of what's happening, what's missing and what the next steps should be.
How to get involved[edit | edit source]
- Please join the SDG Scotland Network here: https://khub.net/group/sustainable-development-goals-scotland-network
- The network will also meet openly and regularly online at our Cisco WebEx web meetup. Join us!
- Please visit that page for details of the upcoming meeting schedule.
Development Phases[edit | edit source]
Creation of Scotland's Goals for Sustainable Development Network/Forum (How do we start the movement?)[edit | edit source]
- Various conversations have been taking place amongst stakeholders with an interest in SDGs and those who are already doing/planning a lot of engagement and activities with regards to the SDGs.
- However, there has not been a formal network/forum/steering group in place for some time, with the formal 'post 2015 group' having fizzled out somewhat. This phase focuses on picking those conversations back up to present a coordinated approach towards localising the SDGs in Scotland.
- An initial meeting was held on 28th March to discuss progressing SDG movement in Scotland (details of attendees/agenda below). This was with a small group of stakeholders already working on SDGs in Scotland, but the focus of the discussion was around building wider involvement in the agenda.
- It was agreed at the meeting that the group should be as open as possible with no rigid structure in place. Everyone in the group would bring their own expertise from their area and this would help to shape discussions.
- No single person or single organisation should take a lead, but could act as facilitators where there is capacity to do so. Process should not get in the way of just moving things forward.
- A good next step would be to collate information about who considers themselves as part of the SDG movement in Scotland, what their area(s) of expertise is and any useful information/resource links they can provide at this stage.
Initial work to localise the Sustainable Development Goals[edit | edit source]
Branding[edit | edit source]
- Big challenge is how we localise the goals to Scotland at this stage.
- Some concern with using Global Goals for Sustainable Development, but also unsure about Sustainable Development Goals. Tested both terms with new audiences and neither names were considered favourable.
- Discussions keep coming back to SCOTLAND’s GOALS for Sustainable Development.
- Suggested next step is to look at the methods used by Baltimore to localise the goals and turn a high-level framework into something meaningful in Scotland. They had the support of the UN and it’s a recommended approach for cities/states to localise the goals.
- The initial stage would involve some minimal design work to change the branding slightly, as Baltimore have done.
- Once this is in place, the network will be better positioned to talk about ‘Scotland’s Goals’ as opposed to a global framework that doesn’t always come across as relevant
GlobalGoals.Scot (digital platform)[edit | edit source]
- We are creating a web-platform for the coordination and celebration of the UK’s efforts to achieve the SDGs, domestically and internationally. In the first instance a website will be developed for Scotland (www.globalgoals.scot) which can later be mirrored for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- A planning page for the web-platform can be found here
- We have permission from the UN and from Project Everyone, who developed the Global Goals brand and manage the international www.globalgoals.org website for the promotion of the Global Goals, to develop a Scottish national website using the same branding and content as www.globalgoals.org
- The primary purpose for the website would be to raise awareness of and build support for the Global Goals in Scotland - SCOTLAND's GOALS for Sustainable Development